Don’t you just love it when a mistake becomes something so much better than what you had started out with? That’s how this recipe that I created came about. I had never intended to create a pizza recipe, but that’s what this eventually transformed into, and it’s a hit! I’m always looking for the quickest and easiest recipes when making anything, because as much as I love to cook, I have absolutely no patience.
I was attempting to make something entirely different when this recipe was born. I can’t recall whether it was scones or tortillas, but either way it flopped. However, out of the flop a new recipe was born that is so easy and quick, it’s almost too good to be true. I’ve decided to call this pizza recipe “focaccia pizza” because this is not your average pizza. Instead the base is a bit thicker and slightly more breadlike. All in all, it’s completely customisable to what you and your family enjoy, plus it’s ready in only 30 minutes!
FOCACCIA PIZZA RECIPE
Makes 1 large pizza
- 450 grams self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 300ml warm water
- 3 tablespoons oil (sunflower or vegetable will do)
Note: If you’re using plain flour, add 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Mix all ingredients until a soft dough forms.
- Prepare your baking tray by lining it with foil and greasing.
- Drop dough onto tray and spread out, starting from the middle, to fill the pan. Using your hands makes this much easier!
- Without any toppings or sauce, bake in oven for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Prepare sauce (see bottom of recipe for my concoction) and other toppings.
- After 10 minutes, remove base. It should be just starting to cook and not hard.
- Add sauce, toppings, and cheese. Bake for another 10 – 15 minutes.
- The bottom of your pizza should be brown.
Note: You can use any toppings on this pizza! I used cooked bacon, feta, and raw mushrooms. Be creative.
I just throw together the following ingredients until the sauce looks good to me. You may like more tomato, more garlic, or you may hate the very thought of this sauce and instead prefer to use a store-bought option. Or experiment and make your own!
- Tomato sauce
- Olive oil
- Crushed garlic
- A pinch of different spices
If you’ve tried, or plan to try out this recipe, let me know below! Don’t forget to share this post with your friends and family too.
Go forth and eat, friends! Bon Appétit.